1. Apply to graduate through your college office. Colleges have different deadlines to apply for graduation. Be sure to apply by these deadlines to ensure your information is included in the commencement program and you receive a diploma on commencement day. Click here for a list of contact information for the college offices.
2. Verify the accuracy of your name and degree as it is listed with your college office. Your name and degree being received will appear on your diploma and in the commencement program exactly as it is listed with your college office. If there is an error, notify your college office by Friday, July 25. Please make sure your name appears correctly, as changes will not be made after this date.
Note: Name changes entered through Buckeye Link will NOT change the name printed on your diploma. To officially change your name on your academic record, you must submit a “Request for Change of Record” form along with appropriate documentation verifying your name change to the Student Service Center, located at 281 West Lane Avenue, by the date listed above.
3. Update your permanent address on the Buckeye Link website with a mailing address that will be valid for at least one month following commencement. Should it be necessary to mail your diploma to you for any reason, your permanent address will be used for the mailing.
4. Make arrangements for your cap and gown. All graduates must wear the proper academic regalia to participate in the commencement ceremony. The Graduate School and some professional colleges also require that graduates wear hoods. Candidates for degrees wear the tam or black mortarboard with a tassel that is a color distinctive of the degree being received. (See Academic Costume).
Undergraduate and master’s caps and gowns may be purchased from the Ohio State Bookstore, Student Book Exchange, Buckeye Books, and other campus area bookstores.
PhD caps and gowns may be purchased or rented at Ohio State Bookstores only. PhD rental orders must be placed at the Ohio State Bookstore by 4:30 PM, Friday, July 18. The fee is due at the time the order is placed.
5. Resolve any outstanding financial obligations to Ohio State, such as library fines, parking tickets, or late registration penalties. You will not receive your diploma and may not order transcripts or have other documents released if you have unresolved financial obligations to the university. Questions regarding administrative or financial holds should be directed to the Student Service Center (SSC) at (614) 292-0300.
6. Complete requirements for Student Financial Aid exit interview.
Certain loans require students to complete an online exit interview. For more details about the different types of loans and to see if you need to complete an online exit interview, please visit the Student Financial Aid website.
7. Check your grades on the Buckeye Link website after you have taken final exams, and watch for e-mail messages from your college office regarding your grades. Grades for exams should post by 5:00 PM on Thursday, August 7. If your college office cannot certify your eligibility to graduate by 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 9, you may participate in commencement, but you will not receive your diploma at the ceremony.
8. Return to this website for more information and instructions for Commencement Rehearsal and Commencement Day.
9. If you are unable to attend commencement, please click here for procedures to obtain your diploma.
10. If you are a graduate with a permanent or temporary disability and need assistance during the ceremony, please contact the Office of Commencement and Special Events at (614) 292-9051 by Friday, August 1.
All information is subject to change. We recommend checking back periodically for current information.