Unable to Attend
1. Apply to graduate through your college office. Colleges have different deadlines to apply for graduation. Be sure to apply by these deadlines to ensure your information is included in the commencement program and you receive a diploma for the appropriate semester. Click here for a list of contact information for the college offices.
2. Verify the accuracy of your name and degree as it is listed with your college office. Your name and degree being received will appear on your diploma and in the commencement program exactly as it is listed with your college office. If there is an error, notify your college office by Wednesday, November 27. Please make sure your name appears correctly, as changes will not be made after this date.
Note: Name changes entered through BuckeyeLink will NOT change the name printed on your diploma. To officially change your name on your academic record, you must submit a Request for Change of Record form along with appropriate documentation verifying your name change to the Student Service Center, located at 281 West Lane Avenue, by the date listed above.
3. Update your permanent address on the BuckeyeLink website with a mailing address that will be valid for at least one month following commencement.
4. Complete a commencement excused form at your college office. This form must be completed if you do not plan to attend commencement. The information you provide is essential for you to receive your diploma. Graduates are asked to complete and turn in this form by November 27.
Note: If you do not file a commencement excused form, you may not receive your diploma. Diplomas can be picked up at the Student Service Center until December 20. If you have not claimed your diploma by this date, it will be mailed to your permanent address, as listed on BuckeyeLink, and should be delivered within one month. After this time, missing/undeliverable diplomas from participants who did not attend the commencement ceremony or file a commencement excused form must be replaced at the graduate's expense.
5. If you would like to receive your diploma by mail, provide a complete mailing address that you are certain will be valid after commencement. Your diploma will be sent by U.S. Mail. Ohio State does not assume responsibility for non-delivery if the address you provide is incorrect. You should receive your diploma within one month. To have your diploma mailed outside the U.S., you must provide the confirmed address in writing to your college office by November 27.
6. If you would like to pick up your diploma, go to the Student Service Center (SSC) on the first floor of the Student Academic Services (SAS) Building, 281 West Lane Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210-1132, during regular business hours December 16 to December 20. You may send someone else with a letter granting that person permission to obtain this document on your behalf. If your diploma remains unclaimed after December 20, an attempt will be made to mail it to your permanent address as listed on BuckeyeLink after one month.
Diplomas returned to Ohio State will be held for one semester following commencement. Diplomas requested after this time period must be reprinted at the graduate's expense. To request a replacement diploma, please click here.