- Apply to graduate through your college office.
Colleges have different deadlines. Be sure to apply by these deadlines to ensure your information is included in the commencement program and you receive a diploma on commencement day. Find contact information for your college if you have more questions.
- Verify the accuracy of your name and degree as it is listed with your college office.
Your name and degree being received will appear on your diploma and in the commencement program exactly as it is listed with your college office. If there is an error, notify your college office by Friday, July 15. Please make sure your name appears correctly, as changes will not be made after this date.
- Note: Name changes entered through the Student Center in Buckeye Link will NOT change the name printed on your diploma. To officially change your name on your academic record, you must submit a Request for Change of Record form online along with appropriate documentation verifying your name change by the date listed above.
- Update your permanent address on the Buckeye Link website with a mailing address that will be valid for at least one month following commencement.
Addresses should be updated no later than Friday, July 15, as labels will be printed prior to the mailing of diplomas. The tentative plan is to begin mailing diplomas to permanent addresses the week of August 8. International students who are unable to update their permanent address and would like their diplomas sent to a domestic address should email email@example.com by July 15.
- Make arrangements for your cap and gown.
All graduates must wear the proper academic regalia to participate in the commencement ceremony. The Graduate School and some profesional colleges also require that gradautes wear hoods. Candidates for degrees wear the tam or black mortarboard with a tassel that is a color distinctive of the degree being received. (See Academic Costume).
Undergraduate and master's caps and gowns may be purchased from the Ohio State Bookstore and other campus area bookstores.
PhD cap and gowns may be purchased or rented at Ohio State Bookstores only. PhD regalia purchase orders must be placed at the Ohio State Bookstore by 4:30 p.m., Friday, June 24. PhD regalia rental orders must be placed at the Ohio State Bookstore by 4:30 p.m., Thursday, July 7. The fee is due at the time the order is placed.
- Resolve any outstanding financial obligations to Ohio State, such as library fines, parking tickets or late registration penalties.
You will not receive your diploma and may not order transcripts or have other documents released if you have unresolved financial obligations to the university. Questions regarding administrative or financial holds should be directed to Buckeye Link at 614-292-0300.
- Complete requirements for the Student Financial Aid exit interview.
Certain loans require students to complete an online exit interview. For more details about the different types of loans and to see if you need to complete an online exit interview, please visit Student Financial Aid.
- Check your grades on the Buckeye Link website after you have taken final exams, and watch for email messages from your college office regarding your grades.
Grades for exams should be posted by 5 p.m. on Thursday, August 4. If your college office cannot certify your eligibility to graduate by 12 p.m. on Saturday, August 6, you will not receive your diploma in the initial mailing--your diploma will be mailed after your college has certified your eligibility.
- Check the commencement website regularly.
Updated information and instructions for commencement rehearsal and commencement day will be published.
Take the Graduation Survey
The university administers a Graduation Survey to all graduating students (except full-time MBAs and PhDs who receive separate, national surveys) beginning three weeks prior to commencement. Students are encouraged to complete the survey as data are used throughout the university to improve the experiences of future Buckeyes. To take the survey, visit http://go.osu.edu/gradsurvey