- Apply to graduate through your college office. Colleges have different deadlines. Be sure to apply by these deadlines to ensure your information is included in the commencement program and you receive a diploma for the appropriate semester. Find contact information for your college if you have more questions.
- Verify the accuracy of your name and degree as it is listed with your college office. Your name and degree being received will appear on your diploma and in the commencement program exactly as it is listed with your college office. If there is an error, notify your college office by Friday, July 15. Please make sure your name appears correctly, as changes will not be made after this date.
- Name changes entered through the Student Center in Buckeye Link will NOT change the name printed on your diploma. To officially change your name on your academic record, you must submit a Request for Change of Record form online along with appropriate documentation verifying your name change by the date listed above.
- Update your permanent address on the Buckeye Link website with a mailing address that will be valid for at least one month following commencement.
- Complete and submit a commencement excused form to your college office. This form must be completed if you do not plan to attend commencement. The information you provide is essential for you to receive your diploma. Please complete and return this form by Friday, July 22.
- Graduate students do not submit the regular commencement excused form. Graduate Students should indicate a commencement absence by completing the commencement absence section on the Application to Graduate.
- If you do not file a commencement excused form, you may not receive your diploma. Diplomas can be picked up at Buckeye Link until 12:00 p.m. on Friday, August 12. If you have not claimed your diploma by this date, it will be mailed to your permanent address, as listed on Buckeye Link, and should be delivered within one month. After this time, missing/undeliverable diplomas from participants who did not attend the commencement ceremony or file a commencement excused form must be replaced at the graduate's expense.
Receive your diploma by mail
If you would like to receive your diploma by mail, be sure the permanent address entered on Buckeye Link will be valid after commencement. Your diploma will be sent by U.S. mail. Ohio State does not assume responsibility for non-delivery if the permanent address you provide is incorrect and diplomas are not forwarded by the U.S. Postal Service. You should receive your diploma within one month. To have your diploma mailed outside the U.S., you must provide the confirmed address in writing to your college office by July 15.
Pick up your diploma
If you would like to pick up your diploma, go to Buckeye Link on the first floor of the Student Academic Services (SAS) Building, 281 West Lane Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210-1132, during regular business hours between August 8 and 12:00 p.m. on August 12. You may send someone else with a letter granting that person permission to obtain this document on your behalf. If your diploma remains unclaimed after 12 p.m. on Friday, August 12, an attempt will be made to mail it to your permanent address as listed on Buckeye Link within one month.
Diplomas returned to Ohio State will be held for one semester following commencement. Diplomas requested after this time period must be reprinted at the graduate's expense. You may request a replacement diploma.