Spring Commencement 2021
The Ohio State University announced today that it plans to host a modified in-person spring commencement for graduates in what will be the first non-virtual commencement since late 2019.
While the university is working to maintain many of Ohio State’s proud traditions, health and safety guidelines mean that certain elements will need to change. The university will make adjustments to provide a memorable celebration that is safe and healthy, including no more than 13,500 attendees in each of two commencement ceremonies to allow for physical distancing.
More information will be posted as details are confirmed.
Commencement at The Ohio State University is a festive and joyous occasion at which family and guests are welcome to celebrate the accomplishments of the graduating class. The information contained on this website is designed to be beneficial to all those participating in or attending the commencement ceremony.
- Two guests can accompany each graduate, and a livestream will be available for those who can’t watch in person. Each pod of three, including the masked graduate, family and/or friends, will be separated by 6 feet from others.
- All ticketing will be digital to minimize close interaction, and seating and timed gate entry will be designated ahead of time.
- Six-feet distance dots will be placed outside of each Ohio Stadium gate, and graduates and guests must enter together.
- Graduates will receive diplomas on their way into the stadium via assigned times.
- Spacing limitations mean a small number of graduates and their guests will be seated on the field along with college leaders.
The university celebrated Ohio State’s spring, summer and autumn 2020 graduates in virtual commencement ceremonies, and committed to celebrating the Class of 2020 in person when it is safe. Ohio State will recognize these students later this year as part of the August 8 commencement. This commencement, typically held at the Schottenstein Center, will be moved to Ohio Stadium to help ensure a safe and healthy experience.
Take the Graduation Survey
The university administers a Graduation Survey to all graduating students (except full-time MBAs and PhDs who receive separate, national surveys) beginning three weeks prior to commencement. Students are encouraged to complete the survey as data are used throughout the university to improve the experiences of future Buckeyes. To take the survey, visit http://go.osu.edu/gradsurvey