- Apply to graduate through your college office.
Colleges have different deadlines. Be sure to apply by these deadlines to ensure your information is included in the commencement program and you receive a diploma on commencement day. Find contact information for your college if you have more questions.
- Verify the accuracy of your name and degree as it is listed with your college office.
Your name and degree being received will appear on your diploma and in the commencement program exactly as it is listed with your college office. If there is an error, notify your college office by Friday, April 3. Please make sure your name appears correctly, as changes will not be made after this date.
- Note: Name changes entered through the Student Center in Buckeye Link will NOT change the name printed on your diploma. To officially change your name on your academic record, you must submit a Request for Change of Record form online along with appropriate documentation verifying your name change by the date listed above.
- Update your permanent address on the Buckeye Link website with a mailing address that will be valid for at least one month following commencement.
Should it be necessary to mail your diploma to you for any reason, your permanent address will be used for the mailing.
- Make arrangements for your cap and gown.
All graduates must wear the proper academic regalia to participate in the commencement ceremony. The Graduate School and some professional colleges also require that graduates wear hoods. Candidates for degrees wear the tam or black mortarboard with a tassel that is a color distinctive of the degree being received. (See Academic Costume.)
- Undergraduate and master’s caps and gowns may be purchased from the Ohio State Bookstore and other campus area bookstores.
- PhD caps and gowns may be purchased or rented at Ohio State Bookstores only. PhD regalia purchase orders must be placed at the Ohio State Bookstore by 4:30 p.m., Friday, March 20. PhD regalia rental orders must be placed at the Ohio State Bookstore by 4:30 p.m., Friday, March 27. The fee is due at the time the order is placed.
- Resolve any outstanding financial obligations to Ohio State, such as library fines, parking tickets or late registration penalties.
You will not receive your diploma and may not order transcripts or have other documents released if you have unresolved financial obligations to the university. Questions regarding administrative or financial holds should be directed to Buckeye Link at 614-292-0300.
- Complete requirements for the Student Financial Aid exit interview.
Certain loans require students to complete an online exit interview. For more details about the different types of loans and to see if you need to complete an online exit interview, please visit Student Financial Aid.
- Check your grades on the Buckeye Link website after you have taken final exams, and watch for email messages from your college office regarding your grades.
Grades for exams should be posted by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 29. If your college office cannot certify your eligibility to graduate by 12 p.m. on Saturday, May 2, you may participate in commencement, but you will not receive your diploma at the ceremony.
- Check the commencement website regularly.
Updated information and instructions for commencement rehearsal and commencement day will be published.
Take the Graduation Survey
The university administers a Graduation Survey to all graduating students (except full-time MBAs and PhDs who receive separate, national surveys) beginning three weeks prior to commencement. Students are encouraged to complete the survey as data are used throughout the university to improve the experiences of future Buckeyes. To take the survey, visit http://go.osu.edu/gradsurvey
Unable to attend the ceremony
If you are unable to attend commencement, please view the information on how to obtain your diploma.
Graduates with a permanent or temporary disability
If you need assistance during the ceremony, please contact the Office of Commencement and Special Events at 614-292-9051 by Friday, April 24.